Sunday, August 23, 2009

What can I do to let two computers use the same ports on a NAT router for AIM video?

AIM video uses specific ports to allow video communication. However, my router uses NAT so I can only foward ports to one ip address. I want t know if there is a way to open the ports and allow more computers to use them. ex: I want to be able to do video aim with someone on my desktop, then disconnect form video, and then connect back to video with my laptop connected wirelessly. I dont care if i have to buy something else i just want it to work!



What can I do to let two computers use the same ports on a NAT router for AIM video?virus removal



If a computer is using one port, if another computer uses it, the stream will be mixed up. Your router takes a request from you and maps it to a port and sends it via aim. Now the aim user and server only see your external IP. When your router receives a response to that port, it knows to send it back to your computer. So the AIM server will end up sending back a reply and your router will not know which computer it came from if there are multiple ports.



I do not have an AIM client here, but I am certain they must have the ability to map the ports to something else. Like computer A can have AIM configured to accept incoming at 8001 and computer B at 8002. This is the only way to easily do it. then on the router have 8001 map back to A and 80002 map to B



What can I do to let two computers use the same ports on a NAT router for AIM video?anti virus protection



Not sure how to do it with NAT but a router that supported PAT (Port Address Translation) would probably work since all computers would use the same IP address but are identified by different port numbers. Google PAT

No comments:

Post a Comment