Friday, August 21, 2009

Can I use two modems for two computers in the same house?

With talk talk. I have two modems, can I use both with two computers. One upstairs, one downstairs?



Can I use two modems for two computers in the same house?stinger



Just put in a wireless access point and let two PC's share the link wirelessly



Can I use two modems for two computers in the same house?virus scanner



There should be no problem in doing that. The only problem is that you would then be accessing your available bandwidth twice which could cause some slowdown in your interenet speed.



The only exception would be if each modem was on another telephone line.



You do mean modem ( for telephones ) or cable modem which is for cable access ??



Sarge
sure why not? but in that case you will have to pay 2 internet services.
You can't use them at the same time, but you can use one when the other is not being used so long as the unused one is not connected.
If they are ADSL (broadband) modems the answer is NO, I found this out years ago when BT sent me a second identical modem after a package upgrade. Again if they are ADSL modems then you will need a Router (either wired or wireless) plugged into one of them (keep the other as a spare) to connect both computers to the Internet.



As your ISP is Talk Talk I doubt it is dial-up, but if it is, then using two modems is the same answer unless you have two phone lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment