Friday, August 21, 2009

External Hard Drive is recongized, but doesnt show in My Computers?

Okay, I've had this hard drive for a good year now, and its having this problem. I cut it on, it clicks a few times then the computer does the little chime saying its recongized but it doesnt show in my computers.



Now, I've looked everywhere for it, including the Disk Manager, and I cant find it. I have all of my games in here, ranging from the Neverwinter Nights 1 to Unreal Tournament 3; its very important. I want to get it fixed without formatting it. Ideas?



External Hard Drive is recongized, but doesnt show in My Computers?husqvarna



you run your games off of your external hard drive?



anyways it could an issue with the recognition or the hard drive could be corrupted.



1st try inserting the usb into a different port if possible. 2nd run western digital's data life tools diagnostic software. it checks for corruption on the hard drive, failed sectors, ect.



if it finds any errors then thats probably your problem. fixing it is another issue altogether



External Hard Drive is recongized, but doesnt show in My Computers?microsoft office



I had this happen to me actually. In my case, the hard drive had died. The computer still recognized that a USB had been plugged in, but since the hard drive was dead, no drive was shown in My computer.



Many times external cases are very cramped and don't have much airflow.(they get very hot! which can damage the drive) Using these drives for extended periods of times, say for loading/playing games, would not be good for the drives 'health'.

No comments:

Post a Comment