Friday, August 21, 2009

Looking for a deeply fulfilling carrer, Fixing computers?

I've been reading a lot lately about finding the perfect career. Many people put forth the idea that your work should be an extension of something you enjoy doing anyways. In other words "Your job should be something you would do or are doing for free."



Well, I've had a hard time with this concept mainly because I don't really have any hobbies.



So today, as I sit at home and try to fix a laptop my friend brought over, I realize that I really enjoy fixing broken computers! I like trouble shooting them, I like running the diagnostic programs on them, I like the satisfying feeling i get when I purge viri and spyware from a hard disk. I feel good when i isolate a bad piece of RAM.



So my question is, If i were to pursue my passion, what would and could i do? Also, over the long term, where would i end up if i pursued that path? Keep in mind that I have zero technical training and don't have a college degree.



Looking for a deeply fulfilling carrer, Fixing computers?software



My own intrest in computers led to a really great career in Federal Service.



I would suggest you try a small ad in your local newspaper, stating your hourly rate. Many people who are less computer savvy would



rather pay someone to come to their homes than bring it in.



At worst you could say you couldn't repair it there and take it home and work on it.



That said, you'll need to be like a doctor, "first, do no harm"



I see cases where a computer repairman is sued for loosing the data or damaging the pc on Judge Judy (:



Employers want either education or experience... If you can't get



education then your resume` can at least say you were self employed fixing computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment