Sunday, August 23, 2009

I want to use my ADSL internet connection on two computers. How can I do it?

The company is going to provide me with a modem, but it will only let me connect to one computer. Can I buy a cable (not sure what its called) that will allow me to attach one end to the modem, and the other two ends to my two computers?



I want to use my ADSL internet connection on two computers. How can I do it?antivirus programs



If the DSL modem only has one ethernet (I guess that is the name of the cable you are referring to) connection, you will need to get a router or a hub and it will split the connection and let you share it between several computers. Check www.netgear.com where you can get more detailed explanations (they sell that type of hardware), just keep in mind that you don't need to get anything very expensive to do that; a simple hub (assuming you will use wired connections) my set you back 20 o 30 dollars...



I want to use my ADSL internet connection on two computers. How can I do it?computer protection



you will need a wireless modem. I have a linksys from bestbuy (about 50.00) It comes with an additional ethernet cord and instructions. best buy will try to get you to let them install it but you do not need that. it is plug and play. make sure that you read the instructions with the new modem. it will show you how to setup a protected network and how to change the modems ip address so you can log in.
purchase a router, thats all you need, a cheap one is ok.



popular brands are:



linksys : overpriced



netgear : good brand/cheap



all the basic instructions will be included with the packaging.\



good luck



P.S. make sure you get a router. hubs don't give you the requires ip numbers to get out to the internet, you will need a ROUTER. thanks
If you want to use both computers at the same time, use a router. The modem cable out connects to the router, and multiple computers can connect to the router--either wireless or via separate cables.



Your ISP may sell or recommend a router for you, or tell you where to go to buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment